Tuesday 6 April 2010

Back to iGoogle and Delicious

On returning to my iGoogle page to add Delicious bookmarks, I decided to edit a few more things. I had got a little bored by the theme so I picked a new one. I noticed that the Russian proverb and picture of the day gadget seemed to be broken. It hadn't changed since I added it in February, so I deleted it. I tried three different gadgets to display my bookmarks and felt that 'My del.icio.us' looked tidiest. I prefer the size of the box and the size of the text and like the relative simplicity of information. The text of 'Del.icio.us bookmarks' was too big and the box took up too much space for me. The third Delicious gadget I tried, entitled 'Delicious', has additional features (you can save your bookmarks in different places) but I don't think I want them, so it seems best to cut out the clutter. I had a look at the editor's choice of gadgets and noticed that they are strangely suitable for a typical British woman; there are gadgets for BBC Good Food recipes, UK national rail enquiries and Dazed and Confused Magazine (British style). I've tried to find out how these are ascribed and have been unsuccessful. I entertained the idea of creating a ficticious account to see if posing as 40-yr-old American man would give me a wildly different set of picks, but this was far more difficult than I anticipated and I gave up before I'd finished registering. I suppose that targeted advertising is often very effective but I find the lack of human touch and genuine opinion a little depressing here. How I wish there really was an editor who could recommend original things to me that I am less likely to seek out myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment