Monday 22 March 2010

Twitter could be good if...

I've been very curious about Twitter for a long time. It seems to have had a lot of media attention and I've been wondering what I've been missing. Tweeting, as far as I can see, is a lot like writing status updates on Facebook. However Twitter profile pages, unlike Facebook profile pages, contain little other than updates. I imagine that the character limit is especially good for those who want to focus on rapid communication, without really connecting and conversing with people.
I decided to follow lots of people who I found listed on http://tweepml.org/100-British-Librarians-on-Twitter but have discovered, disappointingly, that few of them say very much about libraries; many tweets seem to be about quite mundane aspects of people's lives like watching TV, insomnia and football. It reminds me of The diary of a nobody, only it's a lot less entertaining. I also decided to follow the updates of the British Library and the Bodleian Law Library. Following updates from institutions such as these seems to make more sense; I'm being made aware of events and changes in the libraries that could be very useful to me should I be a regular visitor. I feel Twitter will hold a lot more appeal for me when I find someone/some institution who tweets about things that are particularly interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment