Thursday 11 March 2010

Networks are probably about as Delicious as vobla

I added the Language Centre Library's Delicious page and the History Faculty Library's Delicious page to my network. It was interesting to compare sites. I made a mental note that I should add notes to my bookmarks; titles don't always say enough. I considered the differences between Delicious pages for individuals and Delicious pages for institutions. I'm already delighted with my own personal page because I know what I've tagged, I have my own tags that make sense to me and I'm not sifting through other people's irrelevant sites to find my own. I'm unsure, however, of how successful library Delicious accounts are for library users. I was stunned to see the Language Library has 891 tags. 87 barkmarks are tagged with the term 'English'. Bookmarked sites don't always have much in common with others that share the same tag; both a Swahili English dictionary and a link for the website of the Society for the Study of American Women Writers are tagged with 'English'. It's great that you can search for tags within tags, but I wonder if finding things is always so easy with Delicious when an institution has hundreds, maybe even thousands, of diverse bookmarks. I suppose the term you decide to tag an item with is extremely important. Synonyms could make things difficult. Maybe it could be good to use LCSHs for standardization? Classification is always a tricky business. Perhaps sometimes it's just easier to find what you're looking for through a search engine like Google? Many people in Russia like to eat vobla (dried-up salty fish) with beer. I think it must be an acquired taste, and maybe something you'd only want to eat at quite a specific time and place. Chocolate on the other hand, is delicious all the time. Networks, I think, are more like vobla than chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment