Friday 19 March 2010

LinkedIn loosely

I joined LinkedIn cautiously. It quickly became apparent that this site is designed for networking with a focus on careers. I was quite anxious about creating a detailed profile which, if was to contain all the information I was prompted for upon joining, would have basically constituted all that is on my CV; I'm not convinced that I want this to be easily available. I'm concerned that I may be solicited for products I don't want or irrelevant jobs. I understand that I can alter the privacy levels of my profile, but if I am to use LinkedIn for purposes of career development, isn't it important that those who could potentially help me in my career have a reasonable degree of access to it and therefore a good idea of what I can offer them? If the information is not maintained regularly or I put up something which seems misleading, my profile could give others a bad impression. It seems I'd have to live dangerously (...well, sort of) to benefit. I have attempted to join a few groups and am waiting for my membership to be approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment